Corona is a new (un)biased photorealistic renderer, available both as fully integrated 3ds MAX plugin,and a standalone CLI application. While it is still under development,it is already widely used in production. The renderer is currently in an open alpha-test stage. This means it is free to use, even for commercial projects, without any resolution limitations or watermarks.
Some of the supported features are:
- Full 3ds MAX integration
- Cinema 4D and Maya versions in development.
- Standalone version with a third-party Blender exporter.
- Unbiased/consistent rendering with path tracing, light tracing, bidirectional path tracing, progressive photon mapping, and Vertex Connection and Merging
- Biased splotch-free rendering with radiance caches
- Corona material supporting: diffuse, reflection, refraction, translucency, opacity, bump/normal mapping, displacement, emission, and anisotropy
- Physical sun & sky, area lights, IES light profiles, and fast geometry lights
- Physically correct depth of field and motion blur rendering, physical camera and light emission settings
- Progressive and bucket rendering modes
- Distributed rendering
- Built-in simple and fast scattering and proxy plugins, custom texmaps